The Bloomberg New Energy Finance news, information, and analysis services (the "Services") are owned and distributed locally by Bloomberg Finance L.P. ("BFLP") and its subsidiaries in all jurisdictions other than Argentina, Bermuda, China, India, Japan and Korea (the "BLP Countries"). BFLP is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bloomberg L.P. ("BLP"). BLP provides BFLP with all global marketing and operational support and service for the Services and distributes the Services either directly or through a non-BFLP subsidiary in the BLP Countries.
Our consulting services are managed and delivered by a dedicated consulting team that works in tandem with the specialist research teams across Bloomberg New Energy Finance. This combination ensures we constantly focus on meeting clients needs whilst using the best possible skills and information within the company.
The consulting team comprises experienced consulting professionals with backgrounds in company strategy, government policy, economics and technology analysis. The team undertakes projects spanning market analysis, competitor benchmarking, market entry strategies, customer surveys, policy design and long term energy sector forecasting. Clients include leading energy companies in the oil, gas, coal, and renewable energy sectors, utilities, equipment suppliers, governments and leading NGOs and think tanks.
Our consulting work often uses proprietary data and models to help understand how markets will evolve. These models have been developed for the energy system as a whole with a focus on specific regions and countries, as well as for specific sectors. Detailed forecasting models have been developed in the bioenergy, wind, solar, carbon, power and gas sectors.
Examples of projects for private sector clients include:
- Analysis of business models for utility scale PV. In this assignment for a private client we examined in detail how the approach to investment in solar PV by utilities has changed in recent years and how they are likely evolve in the future. The findings helped inform future strategic decisions of the client.
- Market analysis and acquisition search. Carried out for a global energy company we were retained to identify, screen and recommend potential acquisition targets in the low carbon sector. The work resulted in a direct investment in the leading target company.
- Impact of China’s energy and emissions policies on energy resources. Working for a major Fortune 500 company we conducted an extensive analysis of China’s energy and GHG emissions targets in order to assess their impact on China’s future demand for energy resources. The work used our proprietary energy and economic models.
- The future of second generation bio-energy technologies. The world’s largest biotechnology company commissioned a comprehensive analysis of the future market for second generation biofuel technologies. The work has subsequently formed a major part of the strategic direction of the client.
- Analysis of the market for offshore wind vessels. Conducted for a major industrial client and with a rapid turnaround, this work used our global network of analysts to forecast future demand for offshore wind construction vessels. The work helped inform board level decisions in this market.
In the public and NGO sector we have worked for some of the leading institutions in the energy sector. Examples of projects include:
- Analysis of the cost of moving from a 20% to 30% reduction target for Europe: This work, conducted for the UK government, involved detailed modeling of the European energy and emissions systems across 27 countries.
- Global Trends in Sustainable Energy Investment: We have produced this report annually for the UN for several years and it has now become the reference document worldwide for clean energy investment figures.
- Climatescope – Assessing the climate for climate investing in Latin America: Commissioned by the Inter-American Development Bank we conducted a multiyear programme to assess investment opportunities for low carbon technologies in 26 countries in Latin America. This groundbreaking work produced several outputs including an on-line assessment tool for potential investors in the region.
- Analysis of the China US clean energy trade relationship: Commissioned by the Pew Centre, we produced a timely analysis of trade flows between the US and China in clean energy in 2011. The work has since been influential in shaping US policy attitudes towards trade policy.