Companies from around the world recognised as game-changers in the field of clean energy technology and innovation
New York, April 13 – Bloomberg New Energy Finance today announced its selection of the 2015 New Energy Pioneers – game-changing innovators who are revolutionizing the energy sector. The diverse group (listed in full below) represents a broad range of industries including advanced transportation, bioenergy, energy storage, solar and wind.
The 10 winners were recognised on stage at the eighth annual Bloomberg New Energy Finance Summit in New York City. By rewarding game-changing innovators, Bloomberg New Energy Finance hopes to show the profound transition in today’s energy system, towards new business models, technologies and market structures that are creating great commercial opportunities.
An independent panel of industry experts, assisted by our technology experts, selected the 10 winners from a high volume of applicants from around the world. Each candidate was assessed against three criteria: potential scale, innovation and momentum. Each New Energy Pioneer has a combination of innovative technologies and business models, the ability to demonstrate substantive progress in their activities, and the potential for global scale.
Michael Wilshire, Selection Committee Chair and Head of Analysis of Bloomberg New Energy Finance, said: “This year, we were delighted to have a very strong set of candidates for the New Energy Pioneers programme, drawn from a wide spectrum of sectors – including solar, wind, storage, transport and bioenergy. We were struck by the amount of innovation that these organisations display and the impact that they are already having on the energy system of the future. We are again very grateful to our group of external judges who had the challenging task of narrowing this field down to a final set of 10 winners.”
The 2015 New Energy Pioneers are:
- BBOXX (UK) designs, manufactures, finances and sells off-grid solar products to rural areas of developing countries, and offers a monthly payment plan on mobile for customers.
- Blade Dynamics (UK) has designed and built a unique modular blade to combat the problems of weight, cost, manufacturability and transportability associated with larger wind turbines.
- Cool Planet (USA) produces a carbon negative cellulosic gasoline that could be one of the only products that meet the US biofuel policy mandates, and also produces biochar to reach a negative carbon footprint.
- Elevance Renewable Sciences (USA), a specialty chemicals company, uses a proprietary, Nobel Prize-winning technology to convert vegetable oils to a range of renewable chemicals.
- Greensmith’s (USA) systems combine cloud computing with battery storage and management technologies to help solve complex problems related to critical changes unfolding on the electrical grid.
- Lehigh Technologies (USA) takes end-of-life tires and produces micronized rubber powder (MRP) that can be incorporated back into tires or asphalt or plastics, providing lower costs, lower CO2 footprint and an increased product life compared to oil-based inputs.
- Locus Energy (USA) helps drive the solar energy sector by providing real-time monitoring and analytics intelligence tools to stakeholders in the residential, commercial and utility-scale PV markets.
- Proterra (USA) designs and manufactures zero-emission, battery-electric vehicles enabling bus fleet operators to reduce operating costs and deliver clean, quiet transportation to the community.
- Sonnenbatterie (Germany) is one of the leading residential energy storage system providers in Germany, catering to homes and small businesses that want to be independent from conventional power supply.
- Stem (USA) a leading provider of intelligent energy storage, combines big data, predictive analytics and energy storage to simultaneously lower electricity costs for businesses, and deliver services to the grid.
For more information on the New Energy Pioneers program, visit: http://www.newenergypioneers.com/
For more information on the Bloomberg New Energy Finance Summit, visit: http://about.bnef.com/summit/
About Bloomberg New Energy Finance
Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) provides unique analysis, tools and data for decision makers driving change in the energy system. With unrivalled depth and breadth, we help clients stay on top of developments across the energy spectrum from our comprehensive web-based platform. BNEF has 200 staff based in London, New York, Beijing, Cape Town, Hong Kong, Munich, New Delhi, San Francisco, São Paulo, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Washington D.C., and Zurich.
BNEF products fit your daily workflow, streamline your research, sharpen your strategy and keep you informed. BNEF’s sectoral products provide financial, economic and policy analysis, as well as news and the world’s most comprehensive database of assets, investments, companies and equipment in the clean energy space. BNEF’s regional products provide a comprehensive view on the transformation of the energy system by region.
New Energy Finance Limited was acquired by Bloomberg L.P. in December 2009, and its services and products are now owned and distributed by Bloomberg Finance L.P., except that Bloomberg L.P. and its subsidiaries (BLP) distribute these products in Argentina, Bermuda, China, India, Japan, and Korea. For more information on Bloomberg New Energy Finance: http://about.bnef.com, or contact us at email@example.com for more information on our services.
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company’s strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 319,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg’s enterprise solutions build on the company’s core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Government, Bloomberg New Energy Finance and Bloomberg BNA, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through the Bloomberg Professional service, television, radio, mobile, the Internet and three magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek, Bloomberg Markets and Bloomberg Pursuits, covers the world with more than 2,400 news and multimedia professionals at more than 150 bureaus in 73 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 15,500 people in 192 locations around the world. For more information visit www.Bloomberg.com/now/